Health and Safety Hazards

Discussion in 'Health and Safety Competitions' started by rapidsphare, Nov 2, 2010.

1. rapidsphare

rapidsphare New Member

Construction jobsites are full of hazards, and concrete construction jobsites are no exception. These hazards can be dissected into categories for better reference as they pertain to various projects.

• Material Hazards
    • Machinery
    • Tools
    • Height
    • Construction Practices
    • Jobsite Conditions

2. alonzomerrill

alonzomerrill New Member

I know that construction jobsites are full of hazards and i want to know that safety helmet can protect us in this field. I have seen that every construction field person wear yellow safety helmet but i have know idea that it is work or not.

3. safetysupervisor

safetysupervisor New Member

I believe that the main category is lack of safety awareness, employees doesn't know that what could have happen to them is they don't take proper safety precautions at construction sites.
    These sites are very hazardous and can cause fatal if safety measures are not taken.
    Safety can be achieved by honestly following OSHA norms, hiring safety manager or safety director, having all safety assets like safety helmet or safety vest.

4. huntpeter

huntpeter New Member

Builders should be provide saftey gadgets to employees working on site like life jacket, halmet, shoes, etc.

5. ellen

ellen New Member

To prevent from these types of hazards people should have complete knowledge and training of safety awareness. For these government should organize camp for it and provide training to the people.

6. vksheilds

vksheilds New Member

Already government strict with safety policy and they don't want to give more opportunity to other organization on lacking of safety fields. But they are not active and not taking tough decisions in famous of workplace safety

7. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Employee attitude plays a big role in safety. The longer a person has been doing a certain job the more likely they are to take risks. We become complacent and complacency makes for dangerous people. Think about driving to work yesterday.. what did you notice on the roads? Do you still look left and right when crossing a intersection or do you just look ahead? No amount of paperwork, rules and procedures will make a safe work site if you can't change employees attitude towards their own safety and of their fellow man.

8. Hugo

The safety culture in the construction industry needs to change. The industry is a major contributer to anual incident statistics yet it is far behind the mining industry.The reason? for too long we were allowed to get away with everything. The mine health and safety act are more stricter and are better enforce by the DMR. We now have the new construction regulations but still people are seeking ways not to comply because as they say" it is to strict" and then also the SACPCMP registrations. I think it is good that we need to register,they just need to standarise the qualifications and training as well.
    The construction industry in general need to change their attitude towards safety. Safety is much more than just to have a generic safety file on site so that you can complete the project. Consultans in the industry must also practice a proffesional service and steer away from the safety file syndrome.

9. Willem van Dyk

Willem van Dyk New Member

The only challenges that I have seen in the years of experience is when it comes to implement new Safety standards or rules to employees working for years and years on the same place or site. Most of the time they will argue about this. I usually go to them in a different way to get their mind set right and work together as a team. Sometimes the people want to push production due to bonus or increase and forget about safety.