Scaffold Safety & Harnesses.

Discussion in 'Scaffolding, Formwork & Support Work' started by Brian, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Topic picked up on in "Sheq Africa".

Work at Height, Fall Protection, Training & Medicals
    By Gerrit Augustyn.

With a slightly altered "Excerpt of a comment made by Shane"

But wait, don’t we all have to use double lanyards on our safety harnesses, perhaps the a man is so tired he forgets to tie on. :)

Scaffolding::(

However, this is a temporary engineered platform, no need to use harnesses, as one cannot hand over an unsafe scaffold to a user. :cool: YEAH RIGHT !!!!!

Here is my crunch point.

Lastly, each harness must be supplied with an approved anchor point capable of taking the dynamic load of a person falling. :D

This is the: Coup de grâce :eek:

As far as I know, NO scaffold is supplied with this “engineered approved anchor point”.:oops:

Why then do we, "me included" and others then sometimes want to enforce the use of safety harnesses on working platforms and scaffolds.If the anchor point is not able to be certified as physically capable of withstanding and withholding the forces of a falling body.o_O

Are we not now relying on "LUCK" and hope.Hope that it will hold the person should he fall and that the structure would withstand the jolt forces.:rolleyes:

Are we and many companies who accept and often in some case enforce this bad practice in their SHE specs to contractors and all etc.Not playing with the lives of WAH employees.

i.e Guess work, Well I GUESS it will hold. Well I GUESS it will be okay?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  2. Works for me....

Shane

3. In the case when a fall risk is present, does the "v" cleat on a scaffold standard qualify as an anchor point?