Are Safety Professionals "Sensible" People ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Brian

Brian Member

The emphasis is on "safety professionals" and "sensible"

2. My wife does not think I am sensible when I continuously buy camera's and lenses, but that is just her perception of me. The word "sensible" is subjective to the observer, in my case I perceive myself to be sensible.

"Safety Professional", I prefer Health and Safety Professional, can only come through a body that a person has been deemed competent (by his peers, after meeting the requirements), then graded. Professionals would then be members of a profession. Outside of that, perhaps we can use the words " self appraised, semi professional Health and Safety Person".

Cheers
    Shane

3. Interested in the two CSP's (American Designation), CMIOSH is equivalent to a CSP - a fact, it is just in which country one is operating (A recognition agreement between the two bodies exists). As do the academic requirements. Only difference is one module that each must complete in order to gain the right to work in each others country.
    So unless I am mistaken - we have many more CSP's / CMIOSH's in the country, although as you imply, if there is a new CSP designation in SA that I am not Familiar with, please tell me.
    If However you take a look at the CSP exam, 200 questions I seem to recall, with plenty of health and hygiene questions, it spans a wide range of areas, including physics, chemistry, engineering, health, industrial hygiene etc.
    Regards
    Shane

4. Hi,

Not at all, I had to get my qualifications verified by NARIC, it was then adjudged to be a Four Year Bachelors degree (British), I then did a further year at Nottingham, a level above BSc(Honours), to get a PGCert(Workplace health) - same level of study at level 7 UK, I think it is 8 or 9 in SA.
    Their is a recognition agreement, I will find and send to you. This agreement spells out the requirements of the agreement. Each requires one further step to meet the requirements of the BCSP or CMIOSH, there is also one with Canada. The academic qualifications are comparable.
    In Fact, if one does some research, I found that the British Qualifications are at post graduate level higher rated than the Americans, cannot for the life of me remember where, possibly Wikipaedia.
    The requirement for CMIOSH is a level 6 UK qualification, NEBOSH DIPLOMA - on the NVQ level, or BSc(Honours)(Occupational Health and Safety)- 4 years. I must admit, at lectures at Nottingham, the NVQ chaps seemed to battle a bit.
    Further, the main difference I have encountered is the NEBOSH Diploma, not accepted in SA educational Framework. Have not done it, so I do not know its full history, but the course-work looks strong. One however cannot register as a health officer in the UK with that. I have long since not been a member of the HPCSA, but I am registered to practice in the UK as an Environmental Health Officer. My SA qualification is accepted, but they took a long look at the date of qualification, perhaps they are no longer accepting the new Environmental Health Officer SA qualifications - not sure about this though.

Will try to find the agreement for you

Regards
    Shane

Attached Files:

5. Uploaded Agreement