Demolition of the Profession

Discussion in 'Demolition' started by Change Agent, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Change Agent

Change Agent Member

I recently came across an audit done by a client “agent”, where the builder (PC) were doing a new fit-out in an existing building. This involved add-on structural work to the existing building and a full refit of floors and ceilings, including the electrical installation. So, by definition it qualified as being a construction site.

What was quite hilarious, was a requirement that a method statement for demolition work was required. Upon enquiry, as I was surprised that demolition work is being performed, I was informed that they removed a door frame and replaced it with a new door frame. According to the “Agent”, it constituted demolition work.

My favourite saying immediately jumped to mind, but then I thought to have a look at Construction Regulation 12. I could not find a definition of demolition work in the Act, so according to the rule of law, the standard English dictionary meaning shall apply. This is “the action or process of demolishing or being demolished.” The verb (demolish) refers to pulling or knocking down a building.

Applying this rule and further reading indicates that a structure has to be involved. CR 12(2) states that a contractor shall ensure that prior to any demolition work being carried out, and in order also to ascertain the method of demolition to be used, a detailed structural engineering survey of the structure to be demolished is carried out by a competent person and that a method statement on the procedure to be followed in demolishing the structure is developed.

According to our Client agent in question, the definition would read: A contractor shall ensure that prior to any door frame being removed, and in order also to ascertain the method of removal to be used, a detailed structural engineering survey of the door frame to be removed is carried out by a competent person and that a method statement on the procedure to be followed in removing the door frame is developed.

Who trained this person? He should demand a refund.

Sadly, this Client Agent is not registered with the SACPCMP and as far as my sources tells me, nowhere else.

If you are a Construction Client, stumbling on this post, please, please, please, make sure you appoint a properly qualified and fully registered Agent. While you might be saving a few bucks with “safety-cops”, you might pay double the savings just to waste the time of a qualified professional to do a detailed engineering survey to satisfy your appointed “agent”.

And arrogant? Hell yes…

But more on the arrogance of the safety-cops in my next post.
    Brian likes this.
  2. Brian

Brian Member

You kidding right ! ???
  3. Change Agent

Change Agent Member

I wish I were. Stellenbosch Paradyskloof.