Pneumatic Nail Gun

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Brian, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Brian

Brian Member

Does a Pneumatic Nail Gun fall under the classification of an explosive power tool. With reference to or in terms of Constr regs 2014. CR 21. Seeing there is no definition of this in the regs.This is similar to a pellet gun and fires nails just as a Hilti gun with a cartridge. The end result is the same it is just that one is operated by an explosive cartridge and the other by a high powered burst of compressed air.Which ejects the projectile with the same force as a cartridge.
  2. HSEMobil

HSEMobil New Member

"explosive actuated fastening device"

means a tool that is activated by an explosive charge and that is used for driving bolts, nails and similar objects for the purpose of providing fixing;

The answer is NO. The intention of CR 21 is to regulate Hilti guns or similar.
    I would however refer you to section 10 of the OHSAct and
    Regulation 6 of the Pressurised Equipment Regulations as it falls within the definition of a pressure accessory as a device with an operational pressure bearing housing.

Deon
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  3. Change Agent

Change Agent Member

Deon

I do not agree with you.
    If you look at the scope of application of the PER regulation 2(3)(d)(ii), "actuating devices" are excluded from the PER's.

There is nothing specific regulating Pneumatic Nail Guns (PNG), other than the general duty of an employer in Section 8.
    Section 10 will not apply in this case, as a supplier can only warrant compliance with requirements, if there are any.
    The SANS code applicable to Pneumatic Nail guns has not been incorporated into the Act anywhere, and thus has no legal standing.

The courts will however find against an employer if the reasonable foreseeable risk have been ignored. And as Brian correctly stated, there is a substantial risk in the use of these tools. I would thus recommend that a SOP forms part of the training program of all PNG operators and records kept of such.
    The requirement to have a safety mechanism on the nozzle, which will prevent accidental release of the air pressure (CR21), is definitely something I will insist on.

Despite what the OHSAct requires, there is always the common-law duty of reasonable care.

"tip of the hat" to Brian for identifying this issue.