Tag Line Use

Discussion in 'Cranes' started by Brian, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Brian

Brian Member

I am now “G t vol” of some PC’s and agents safety officers on site complaining about the incorrect use or absence of tag lines in lifting operations, and wanting to stop operations.

For those of you who may need some information on the topic here it is.

Clearly, we all need some help and educating.

There has on one or two sites I recently visited been some confusion regarding the application of “tag line” requirements in and the meaning of the phrase or term to “swing freely” as used in the basic rules and safe work policies and procedures for crane operation suspended loads and rigging .

May I please help, I guess some SO’s have never been to rigging school ?? or attended a crane operators training course, or have a chip on their shoulders and wish to be the rooster in the hen house.

Now allow me to offer an opinion and shed some light on the matter,

I believe that, The definition of “swing” is a verb and means “move or cause to move back and forth or from side to side while suspended or on an axis” or is “to move rhythmically back and forth suspended or as if suspended from above.” The applicable definition of “suspended” is: “to hang so as to allow free movement.” It follows, therefore, that a load, suspended from a crane hoist line, may be free to move without “swinging freely.”

Here is some enforcement policy on the subject.(If you are the Rooster)

All loads that are suspended from a crane or similar equipment do not necessarily require the use of a tag line.

“Tag lines or restraint lines must be used when rotation or swinging of the load is or may become hazardous or if the load needs guidance.”

If the suspended load swings freely (not under control) and no tag line or guide rope is being used, the employer is not in compliance, in violation of recognized rigging and lifting standards. However, if the suspended load does not swing freely or not need guidance then, the lack of a tag line or guide rope is not a violation.

Similarly, “Tag or restraint lines should be used to control swinging of the load, “when crane travel causes the load to swing; and “A tag or restraint line shall be used when rotation of the load is hazardous.”

There are other rules which address similar hazards and take a similar approach. These require that “Loads requiring continuous manual guidance while in motion shall be provided with tag lines, and requires tag lines must be used “on loads likely to swing or which need guidance.”

The tag line use must however apply whenever any of the following occur:

1.) The load suspended by the crane in a static (non-moving) condition swings, or is likely to swing back and forth (due to wind or other external factors), creating a control hazard.

Not only for the crane operator and banks man, but a landing and placement hazard.

Especially if the area is in the vicinity of near or adjacent to other workers and employees and has not been cordoned off.

2.) The movement of the crane or boom causes, or is likely to cause the load to swing out of control, creating a hazardous condition.

3.) The load rotates, has rotated, or is likely to rotate in such a manner as to be out of control, creating a hazardous condition.

Tag lines are not required when all of the following are true:

1.) The suspended load can be expected to remain still when in a static (non-moving) condition and does not swing or rotate in a hazardous manner.

2.) The movement of the crane or boom cannot be expected to cause the load to swing or rotate in an uncontrolled manner that may create a hazard.

3.) The operator is in control of the movement of the load and a hazardous condition is not created.

Hope this helps someone and is found to be useful information by which we may be guided in our actions on site.

o_O No, you wont find this in the OHS act,only in some training modules.

Rant over now go have a great day.:)
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. Thanks for the info:)