Bulk Transoprt of Haz Chem Substances

Discussion in 'Transport & Material Handling' started by Carlos, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Carlos

Carlos New Member

I have come across a problem. few have answers. even the road traffic department cannot help on this one. (tried them). A chemical known as 2EthylHexanoic acid is transported in bulk (20 tons) from Durban harbour to my company. There is no UN number assigned to it yet it is a Category 8 (Corrosives) on Dangerous Goods table. there are no tremcards for this chemical as according to UN it is categorized as non hazardous.
    My question is this. what would happen if 20 tons of acid was dropped into the ocean, rivers, or on the road. In its fuming nature it causes terrible throart irritation as well as skin irritation and could kill all life form in an environment. why is it still carted as safe:mad:

2. Neil Enslin

Neil Enslin Moderator

Hi Carlos,

Well, I'm not sure what you are asking as you do answer your own question is some way or the other by mention the symptoms/what will happen to people and animals should they be exposed to a large number of this chemical.

I suggest that you research this chemical on the internet, and I'm sure that you will find useful information on the following,

• First-aid measures
    • Fire-fighting measures
    • Accidental release measures
    • Handling and storage
    • Exposure controls/personal protection

to mention a few. Unfortunately, I can't answer you on why its catered for as safe it is clear a Hazardous Chemical.

3. Safety Joe

Safety Joe Member

A bit of a belated reply but you should request a MSDS from the supplier. I find it hard to believe that a corrosive has no UN number and especially one containing Ethyl and Hexanoic Acid. Ethyl is UN 1155 and Hexanoic Acid is UN 2829 so it stands to reason that the two combined will fall, at least, under one of the two UN numbers.

4. Carlos

Carlos New Member

stiil no answer

Gentleman. I have researched this chemical thoroughly. there is nothing on the UN database. The question is not health or safety related, but environmentally unsafe. I have mitigated all other issues relating safety health, quality, but transport seem to evade me. Anyway gentlemen. if anyone finds a solution for me to this i will will be extremely grateful. bear in mind that ethyl on its own is a different chemical as well as heaxanoic acid. these chemicals have been blended together chemically to form a titally different chemical which will react totally different to its seperated counterparts.

5. Safety Joe

Safety Joe Member

Is the supply able to provide you with a MSDS?

6. JW Burger

JW Burger New Member

7. Carlos

Carlos New Member

i have been through the whole system of finding the proper information for transport. and believe me the fact that this chemical is extremely corrosive posses an extreme risk to the environment. i just find it very odd that with all the legislation in place for transporting hazardous substances, that this chemical is transported as is. I feel that the road traffic department needs to look at the transport requirements for hazardous sustances again. This does not sit well with me.:confused:

8. Safety Joe

Safety Joe Member

I just want to say well done Carlos. You have discovered and opened a can of worms here where many others would have just ignored the problem and gone with the fact that there was no UN number. Is this a widely or commonly used chemical? I wonder how it slipped through the cracks? I'm going to keep watching this space!

9. canadasafetycampus

canadasafetycampus New Member

According to wiki :
    You can check Expert opinion of BfR about 2-ethylhexanoic:
    If it is indeed finally considered as a corrosive kind of dangerous goods, then it must go under legal requirements training, such as knowing the proper transportation of dangerous goods for 2-ethylhexanoic materials in order to properly and safely transport it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  10. Neil Enslin

Neil Enslin Moderator

Thank you for the info, am sure Carlos will be able to use what you have provided here for all of us.

11. GaryT

GaryT New Member

Hi Carlos, There is dangerous goods and hazardous goods (low hazard). This product is not listed as dangerous, however still has hazards, so should be transported under the low hazard decals. One can still give a TREM or TREC Card under low hazard. A bit like milk, if one was to spill 20000L into rivers or a dam all the fish would die. The MSDS that I looked at came from Canada who are arguably the leaders when it comes to the transportation, handling and emergency response for Dangerous and Hazardous goods.

Hope this helps
    Regards
    Gary Templar

12. Carlos

Carlos New Member

Hi all.
    i have read through all the responses. they are all wonderful reasponses. EHA is an Acid. ay which way you look at it. 20 tons of an acid into a river, stream or draind is going to cause a major problem with Environmental affairs. how does one challenge the labelling of the UN coding fr hazardous substances.