OHS Training courses - Accredited

Discussion in 'Training Courses Available' started by jacquesn, May 3, 2012.

  1. jacquesn

    jacquesn New Member

    I'm looking for some institutions that gives accreddited OHS training. I'm up to SAMTRAC and I want toi further my career in the OHS field. Mainly in Engineering and Construction. Any valued accredited courses will be appreciated as well as institutions that gives the training.

    please send me a mail, it will be highly appreciated.

  2. Elishya Abbu

    Elishya Abbu Administrator

    Hi Jacques

    My advice would be to contact UNISA, they offer a Diploma in Safety Management alternatively you can also contact a company called IRCA 031 2667264, they have a Degree that they are offering in Risk Management.
    Its worth calling them and finding out more.

    Kind Regards
  3. 10135556

    10135556 New Member

    Good evening,

    I would try & miss out on the UNISA - ND : Safety Management diploma. I have just completed the diploma & it is a total waste of time & money. You are not given very much on the OHS Act, 1993 & its Regulations.

    Rather try LexisNexis expecially since you are looking for courses in construction & engineering. They have several that will assist you in developing as well as their facilitators are ex senior members of the Department of Labour.

    IRCA you can use, but be sure that you will go to a company that uses IRCA, otherwise an expensive hobby.

  4. Elishya Abbu

    Elishya Abbu Administrator

    Hi Barry

    I have to say that doing the short courses are extremely vital for one to be able to be competent in their field of choice but when it come to the degree/diploma in that field, I believe that it is in the best interest of the individual to be in possession of such a qualification. Professional registration is not compulsory at the moment but it is lurking around and very soon it will be compulsory for individuals to be registered in the construction industry. Without the degree/diploma qualification you will be unable to be categorized as a Full Member/Safety Professional. The qualification is aimed at giving an individual the necessary skills and knowledge in the overall management of any field and at the same time also covering the basics needed for OHS Management.

    You will also notice that most jobs advertised in the field require an individual to have the degree/diploma qualification, so i truly believe that the National Diploma through UNISA is definitely not a waste of time but a stepping stone in the right direction.

    Kind Regards
  5. jacquesn

    jacquesn New Member

    Hi Elishya,

    many thanks for all the replies and comments. I am looking for some Auditors courses in the SHE field. which institution do you recommend?

    again, thanks for the reply and feedback.

    Best regards
  6. Elishya Abbu

    Elishya Abbu Administrator

    Hi Jacques

    Most of the training providers offer the auditors course. I actually cannot recommend an institute as I have not done the above training myself. Some of the big names in the industry are NOSA, IRCA and Lexis Nexis, you can perhaps visit their websites and find out more about courses offered.

    Kind Regards
  7. Erhard

    Erhard New Member

    Hi there,

    I am looking to do either "SAMTRAC" or the "NEBOSH International Construction Certificate". They are both through NOSA.
    I want to further my career in Construction Health and Safety, but I am not sure which of those two would be the better option, so if you can help with an opinion it would be greatly appreciated.
    I am currently an Occupational Hygiene Assistant registered with SAIOH.

    Thank You
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2012
  8. Elishya Abbu

    Elishya Abbu Administrator

    Hi Erhard

    In my opinion both courses are great. The best advice I can give you is to contact your training provider and they can do a needs analysis for you in order to determine which one is best suited for you.

    Kind Regards
  9. Nash

    Nash New Member

    Hi There.
    I am glad to have found this forum in my interest of study. I wish to study health and safety but as l am not acquainted with the field l thought it would be best to ask from those who understand and know it better.

    I did a little research on this and found out about Nosa, Saiosh,Nebosh, Samtrac and Unisa. From these bodies l do have a couple of questions in which if you answer you would of great help.

    1.What program can l do which is best in the SHEQ studies?
    2.What is the difference between Nebosh, Saiosh, Nosa and Samtrac which one offers the best program?

    I will be very grateful if you would comment and also you are welcome to advice and provide with additional information.

    Thank you

  10. Neels Nortje

    Neels Nortje Moderator

    Hi Nash,

    Saiosh is not a training provider it is recognised by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) as a professional body to register Occupational Health and Safety Professionals in South Africa. Saiosh is the recognised professional body for Occupational Health and Safety Practitioners in South Africa and was approved by SAQA as a Professional Body for the purpose of the NQF Act, Act 67 of 2008.

    Saiosh register persons on the following professional designations:
    • Technical Member - TechSaiosh
    • Graduate Member - GradSaiosh
    • Chartered Member - CMSaiosh
    The underlying criteria (qualifications and experience) for the above professional designations are:
    • Technical - NQF 5 (10 credits) or equivalent plus 2 years experience
    • Graduate - NQF 6 Diploma (360 credits) plus 3 years post graduate experience
    • Chartered - NQF 7 Degree plus minimum 5 years post graduate experience
    As for your question:

    The SAMTRAC and NEBOSH courses will enable you to register at Technical (TechSaiosh) level. You would require a Diploma or Degree to qualify for Graduate and Chartered level. UNISA and VUT offer a Diploma and BTech Degree in Safety Management. Other related higher qualification e.g. Diplomas or Degrees in Environmental, Public Health, Engineering etc. will also qualify for professional registration at Graduate and Chartered level subject to the applicant having sufficient practical OHS experience.

    I hope this help.