Hazchem Transport permit - To comply or not.

Discussion in 'Transport & Material Handling' started by Carlos, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Carlos

Carlos New Member

Good morning all,
    in safety we look at all the risks associated with a certain task before proceeding. Directors call this procrastinating thinking that we wasting their money. Well. this one goes out to all those who transport hazardous sustances.
    The fire department has incorporated the following into permitting a Hazchem transporter as per RTA

Incorporation of standards (RTA)273A. Standard specifications SABS 1398 "Road tank vehicles for petroleum-based flammable liquids" and SABS 1518 "Transportation of dangerous goods - design requirements for road tankers",

On one hand, SABS 1398 has been repealed, this means it no longer exists.
    so going to have the vehicle certified means that all the neccessary fire protection, signage and COR requirement etc are required. one i feel needs to be highlighted here with great prejudice. the external 4 pole cut off switch relay. never heard of it, well this is how it works. it supposed to cut off current to your engine from your battery. instead the engine continues running because the alternator if feeding power to the engine. right. right. now heres the tricky part. this switch needs to be reqired to cut of the engine completeply. no auto electrcian will do this because it nullifies your vehicle insurance. but there are some bright sparks out there who will do it. right...right. fire department will give you a list of the neccessary perps. well gues what. motor vehicle electronic parts are not guarenteed and tare housed inside your vehicle because they are affected by weather change. it should never be outside your vehicle. secondly your entire truck relies on electrcity to function, brakes hooter etc. see where im going with this. now imagine the switch malfunction on the N3 downhill carring a 10 ton load switching all electrical functions to your engine. you think this is the reason we have so many accidents here. :confused: "Lightbulb" :confused:
    I have phoned SABS, the confirmed the repeal. i have called Road traffic, no one knows what i'm talking about. So where to from here. Safety to the rescue and lets change mistakes of the past to make safe our future. too often long distance drivers are being blamed for road accidents. it's time the law be challenged. help me out guys. i do not want to be another statistic on the road.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2011
  2. Brian

Brian Member

Hi Carlos.
    Nice article and very interesting.I being a qualified SO and a licensed code 14 driver have had exactly the experience you are talking about.Yes it is as scary as all get out when the engine dies on you no brakes due to no pneumatics or air from the compressor worst of all no power steering.Durrr !!

I think someone seriously needs to look at this again.
    Regards
    Brian