How do you counter workers excuses?

Discussion in 'Occupational Health & Safety News and Articles' started by Brian, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Brian

Brian Member

How do you counter ones excuses for safety violations and non compliance's.:confused:

1.) When it comes to workers who say things like:

“I’ve been doing that this way for 20 years and have never gotten hurt.â€
    Which a slight variation of “I have 20 years experience. Don’t tell me how to do my job.â€

OR

2.) When it comes to specific workers actions which are annoying,

“Wearing safety glasses/goggles on top of their heads†was mentioned the most.

AND other annoying practices, sayings and actions,by management,employees and supervisors alike.

a.) Upper management that won’t get serious about safety.
    b.) Managers who require workers to attend safety meetings and then don’t show up themselves.
    c.) Supervisors and safety representatives who walk right by obvious unsafe acts or conditions and safety violations.
    d.) Safety is the safety manager’s job, not mine.
    e.) Employees who say they don’t have time for safety.
    f.) Safety costs too much, we can’t afford to do that.
    g.) Employers who say "There is no time for safety now?"
    h.) Workers who prefer not to know about safety rules and then say, We were not told or informed and were left out of the loop.
    i.) Not reporting injuries, “It happened a month ago, but I thought it would quit hurting, so I didn’t tell anyoneâ€
    j.) “I’m the engineer. I get the thing to run. You’re the safety person. You figure out how to do it safely.â€
    k.) Where does it say that I have to _____?â€
    l.) Blocking exits, aisles, fire extinguishers, eyewash stations, etc.

Who is starting to feel a bit “HOT†under the collar now, If not clearly you have not read it all so read it again?
    If you are feeling just a tad “Hot†under the collar then you must be a safety pro.

I’d not like you to spend the rest of the day that way. So because safety is, of course, a very serious business, I want you to have a sense of humour about it. And help you get through your day.

Now here are things that I have learnt that really Psss workers off. Things that safety pros do and say in reply to workers who say things like:

i.) Worker. “We are safety-ed to death.â€
    Safety pro reply: You obviously not thinking about your statement now are YOU?
    (The workers who said that obvious didn’t think about their statement.)

ii.) Worker. Safety, Safety, Safety. All we ever hear and talk about is SAFETY, and we don’t even have any accidents around here.â€
    Safety pro reply: Well, something must be working right around here! Right?

iii.) Worker. We never had all this safety s*** before,†from the guy missing part of his thumb because it was ripped off in a drill press.

iv.) Worker. Safety Right out of the childhood playbook: “They’re not doing it, so why should I?â€
    Safety pro reply. Because you’re not a child and you’re not in the play you’re in a place of reality adulthood and work.

v.) Worker\Supervisor. That wouldn’t be in the aisle for someone to trip over if we didn’t have to participate in this Safety Tour during our clean-up time.â€

vi.) People who open meetings by saying, “Let’s get this party started.†If it were a party, there’d be more beer and hot people in the room.

This is one way to show that they’re not about to let the few employees who ignore safety get them down:

Some of you might appreciate one comment “Dumb-ass Certificateâ€:eek:: Interpreted as or to mean::D Deviation Under Modified Basis—Agreement Support Sheet (DUMB-ASS Certificate)

I, (Name of Employee\Supervisor) understand that there are identified rules and procedures in place, but I cannot accomplish the task on the basis of those rules. I hereby apply for this Dumb-Ass certificate so I can get an exemption to perform (name task) without following the following safety procedures.

The reason that I want the Dumb-Ass exemption is (check all that apply)…

“I’m the engineer. I get the thing to run.Not worry about safety.

It will take too long to put up a life line.
    I need to wear a safety harness,
    I am too lazy to look for the right PPE.
    I am too lazy to fetch the right tool.
    My goggles mist up,
    It will only take one second.

Yeah!! mate if you don’t it may take a LIFETIME,YOURS

You get the picture.

When it comes right down to it, a one-word comment mostly received sums it all up. The most annoying worker habit when it comes to safety: Excuses.

So “How do you counter workers’ excuses?:(

2. Brian

Brian Member

:p Counter workers' excuses...that's a hard one.

I take the route of trying to explain to the individual/crew how these issues will affect them or their families on a personal level.
    From a splinter to a fatality, how will it affect their income?
    Will their family be able to survive as they are right now?
    Will their kids or spouse be able to cope without them around or incapacitated in some way?

As any safety professional knows, getting the worker\employee to "Buy-In" to a good safety culture is the hardest part of the job but the rewards are HUGE.

Confucius, says: "Catch more flies with Honey than Vinegar".

The battle is fought everyday on the front lines of the construction industry by training, monitoring, and enforcement of compliance.
    We don't do this for the money, we do this so we can sleep at night knowing that we have taught, instilled, and hopefully ingrained a belief in our workers to protect themselves and others.

I find that in my personal experience, if you give them a clear understanding of:

"Why" this will protect them,:)
    "Why" it will make their job easier,
    "Why" it will benefit their families,:cool:

Then the buy in comes extremely fast. I try to convince them that we are:

"Our Brothers Keepers".

Well now, I guess all can see,I am currently unemployed,in between looking a new employment opportunity, and very bored so have lots of time to think chat and write about my passion.:D