Safe Access to steel columns

Discussion in 'Fall Protection' started by Jaco Fourié, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Jaco Fourié

Jaco Fourié New Member

Good day all,

I need a bit of advice.

We are in the industrial development business and do large warehouses. Up untill now sub contractor employee's 'ape climbed' steel columns and when on top attached their safety harnesses to the top of the steel column. They then waited there for a crane to lift the trusses and then bolted the trusses to the columns.

My concern is safe access. Various options like building a scaffold or using a cherry picker to lift the employee to the top of the column is not really flying with management as it will have huge cost and/or time delay implications. Since the columns are 1om high, we also can't use ladders as ladders are restricted to the legislative 9m.

Any advice or solutions will be appreciated.

See attachment

Attached Files:

2. Brian

Brian Member

Hi Jaco.

My opinion and reasoning only.

Having read your post and viewed the attached sketch the first thing that came to mind was,"How much does safety cost?"How much does and injury cost?".
    In this case there would be a high risk or probability of death or serious injury,as the task of raising personnel to the number of beam connection points needs to be repeated quite frequently I believe. A Telescopic boom lift Diesel Model 40HA, reach Height 14m, Max weight capability 227Kg,Weight of machine 4800Kg or an articulated boom lift electric or diesel (Cherry Picker) Model Z45 reach height 15.5m,Max weight capability 227Kg, Weight of machine 5950Kg,would cost far less than the latter death or injury.Unfortunately I am not aware of the exact cost but I am sure you have costed that already.

I recently discovered that the time saved and greatly reduced risk and improved safety factor was a long term plus for the company at the end of the day during the recent construction of the newly completed Makro building in Montague Gardens Cape Town where three of these machines were used.One at each end of the beams or trusses and the connection and fastening was completed in less time than what it was when the 'ape climb' approach was used.Management would find that the machine can,is and will be used to complete other "working at height tasks" more effectively and quicker with enhanced safety reducing the risk of work stoppage due to an accident or incident or even worse site closure by DOL during investigation and inquiry.

But then you know that,so now you need to sell it to management, if you have not already tried this convincing argument, that any "SO" would put up front.

Now I am not sure what part of the country you are in but Improvon is a nationally recognized company by the looks of things and has many wise men at it's helm.I do not understand how they can say " it will have huge cost and/or time delay implications". Arrange to hire the machine from a reputable company,1 phone call 20 min max,delivery within 3 to 5 hours max 1 day,an hour or two to train an operator and get him certified as an operator the rental company normally do that on site at the time of delivery and often train 3 or 4 guys at the same time,a couple of litres of diesel over the next few days (3 to 4) depending on the size of the job and the site supervisors capability and Bobs your uncle jobs done phone the rental company to come fetch the machine.Cost I guesstimate R 3000.00 to R4000.00 if that ??. Cost of severe injury or death for a fall from between 9 to 10 meters ten times that maybe more.

So now it is your job to go and convince them of these facts.Sorry I do not have an absolute answer for you but only my opinion.

Regards

Brian.

P.S Love to know what Neil and Neels may think of my opinion too.

3. Jaco Fourié

Jaco Fourié New Member

Thank you Brian.

I've discussed this matter with the SHE Manager of WBHO as well and he told me that they use scaffolding.

I came across another possible solution in the form of extension ladders. Castor & Ladder can supply extension ladders withy a reach of 12 meters.

I know legislation states that the maximum length of a ladder is restricted to 9 meters (GSR 13A (3a):No employer may permit that -
    (a) a ladder which is required to be leaned against an object for support be used which is longer than 9 m;) but then in GSR 13A (3b) is states: '...except with the approval of an inspector, the reach of a ladder be extended by fastening together two or more ladders: Provided that the provisions of this subregulation shall not apply to extension of free-standing ladders'

Now if we use SABS approved 12 meter extension ladders (which is not two ladders fastened to one another, but actually one - thus more safe) and get an inspector from Department of Labour to approve that, I can't see why we can't use it???

A cherry picker costs about R1400 per day per cherry picker, a scissor lift is more expensive at about R3000+ per day.
    To calculate the cost of scaffolding is difficult as we'll have to take time also as a factor.

Improvon is not trying to find a loophole or to run away from responsibility, they're just trying to get the most productive and financially sensible solution for their sub-contractors.

Please reply with your opinion.

4. Brian

Brian Member

Hi Jaco.

Now if we use SABS approved 12 meter extension ladders (which is not two ladders fastened to one another, but actually one - thus more safe) and get an inspector from Department of Labour to approve that, I can't see why we can't use it???

No problem with that solution,I think you may have a problem getting an inspector from Department of Labour to site ? In which case after a serious RA I would proceed with the ladder system just keep copies of any correspondence inviting an inspector to visit site and inform him that there is a time line applicable in which he must visit and do the inspection.Just in case he does not pitch in time

A cherry picker costs about R1400 per day per cherry picker, a scissor lift is more expensive at about R3000+ per day.

Seemingly more expensive than in Cape Town,I think we got at R900.00 per day was cheaper in the long run than scaffolding.(Set up get approved and certified scaffolder to erect,another to inspect and certify safe for use as erector may not be inspector.)Break down and repeat as many times as required.Which means it needs to be inspected again and again and again.

To calculate the cost of scaffolding is difficult as we'll have to take time also as a factor.TrueThis will be an interesting exercise- I think maybe only a few hundred rand would be saved at the end of the day ?? thought.I am interest to know the outcome.

Improvon is not trying to find a loophole or to run away from responsibility, they're just trying to get the most productive and financially sensible solution for their sub-contractors.

Please do not get me wrong I was not implying anything whatsoever and I agree,(get the most productive and financially sensible solution for their sub-contractors.) But be careful of cutting costs too drastically where safety is a factor.

Regards
    Brian

5. Jaco Fourié

Jaco Fourié New Member

Brian,

Thank you for your replies.

I got a price list from Castor & ladder, and the cost would be R4020 or R5212 per ladder depending on the type. Both have a reach of 12 meters and are fitted with a hooking device at the top to hook onto/around the column.

I'll suggest this to the sub-contractors. The other alternative is to make your own 2x 6meter ladders and to fasten them with bolts to one another. This way you can use them separate as two 6 meter ladders and when needed as one 12 meter ladder. Of course this must first be approved by an inspector (jip, when I phoned this afternoon the offices were closed already for the day- at 15h15!!!)

If you make your own ladders and for safety sake make it a bit wider than a normal ladder (let's say 600mm), you'll need 2x 12 meter steel piping (2mm thick, at least 75mm diameter) as well as steel bars for the rungs. On 12 meters you'll have to weld 60 rungs (max. 200mm between them). The material alone will be about
    R2000.00. But since it is steel, it will be heavy. Very heavy.

I think it'll be better and easier to just by one for about R4000

6. Jaco Fourié

Jaco Fourié New Member

Goodd day,

I am pleased to report back that the contractors decided on using the 12m ladders and they are very satisfied with the result. We can recommend it to any other contractors.

7. krialsharma

krialsharma New Member

That's Quite cool . At least you are thinking about Safety there are really many few companies who think like this . some of the company don't even lend the Safety tools like Helmets and torch to the workers . And i want to know Generally how much it cost for Safety tools ?

8. Jaco Fourié

Jaco Fourié New Member

Hi,

Yes, I am very fortunate...although it is an everlasting battle between safety, production and cost ;)

The Safety Tools that you refer to, is (if I understand correctly what you mean) PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) and the basics includes a pair of overalls, safety boots/gum boots and a hard hat - it can cost you in the region of R300-R500 depending on the brand you buy and the quantity.

Extras can include: safety goggles/eye protection, ear plugs, dust masks, gloves and safety harness for when working at heights of which a safety harness costs about R400-R500.

9. shinestar

shinestar Banned

It is widely used for the scoffold to arrive the highest point of columns in building in China. you just need to hold the template of the reinforcement and axis control.

10. Makeat

Makeat New Member

In these days use of scaffold and steel pipes are an important use of any construction work. I think contractors prefer to use aluminium roads because it's less expensive ans reliable.