Safety in Swaziland

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lumcus, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Lumcus

Lumcus New Member

I need to compile a safety file for a south african contractor doing work in swaziland, will there be any differnce to our act and regulations, I am strugling to get infromation from their Labour Web site. The main contractor is from swaziland, but with no specification to the sub-contractor

2. Brandon Abdinor

Brandon Abdinor New Member

Whatever the official safety requirements in Swaziland are (be they due to legislation, case law or any other prescribed standards), is what will need to be observed. We are not sure of exactly what these are at the moment, and are trying to find out more.

In general, if the safety laws of a foreign land are not very detailed or prescriptive, then adherence to the South African safety legislation (which is well developed and detailed) would probably go a long way to demonstrating diligence, due care and reasonableness. It would be imperative to ensure none of the South African provisions contradict any of the foreign jurisdiction's.

3. Neil Enslin

Neil Enslin Moderator

Give me a call tomo and I'll help you.

4. Neil Enslin

Neil Enslin Moderator

Hi there,

I did some enquires regarding your question. Those that have worked in neighbouring countries experienced much to the same problem you are experiencing.

If you can’t find any information on the particular country's OHS legislation either from their respectable web site or from the Principal Contractor, I have the following advice for you.

1. Set up a meeting with the Principal Contractor and discuss with them that you will be using world best practices to ensure that OHS on the site maintain due to you not able to obtain any information regarding OHS legislation,
    2. Use our legislation as the best practice model and standards,
    3. When you referring to a particular section of the CR don’t say, for example, CR6.1. But rather say best world practice and standards 6.1 and appoint the person with that same responsibilities as you would should they have worked on a site locally.

I hope this help you and should you need further information please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Regards,

5. Jeremy R

Jeremy R New Member

Hi,

As mentioned by Neil and having done work in Swaziland, my suggestion to would be to use the South African model / regulations it will far surpass the Swaziland Ministry of Labour requirements.

If you need any further help on this or anything else for that matter in the Kingdom give me a shout off line on jeremy.rundle@gmail.com

Regards

J

6. moosalifa

moosalifa New Member

hi Boet,

Jeremy is correct, in Swaziland they are still using the Factories Act which is obsolete in SA; use the SA standard as best practice; also read the Comprehensive mitigation plan supplied by the Environmentalist as most of the monitoring is controlled thru the Environmentalist Consultants...

Hope that helps

7. Travers

Travers New Member

I must say man that you are doing very good job and i really love it.

8. medicare

medicare New Member

nice topic, well done .....guy's
    i like this type topic.